Would you buy a tax free Porsche in HK?

Mrs B and I had an interesting day today - Its what I like to think a school day out would be if school days were ever fun. We went to the Porsche garage to look for my new car.

Now, I had decided that I wanted a 911 - But the Porsche salesman drove me (no pun intended) to the Cayman. This is a car only Satan would drive, I will explain;

Sales: You like the 911 sir?
Me: Yes I do.

Sales: 2 seats or 4?
Me: 2 is fine but the 911 has 4 - I care about reckless speed
Sales: 2 or 3 litre engine size?
Me: Whatever goes like I am on a one way trip to hell
Sales: If I may direct you to the Caymen...

At this point I will paraphrase for you dear readers. Porsche in essence decided that the 911 was not fast enough. So (as you do) they designed a faster version, but they had a problem. The 911 was just not the right car, so they went to hell, sold their German souls and came back with a race version with all the best bits of the 911. Now, to skip a lot of science you in essence end up with a mid range engine, 2 seat, seriously fast car.

Does the world need a faster Porsche in these days of global warming, road deaths and responsible husbands who drive Fords and keep to the speed limit?

Who cares, I want this car.


So back to the show room...

Me: (sitting in car making broom, broom noises, Mrs B not amused) I like this car
Sales: Its actually cheaper than the 911
Me: Sold.
Mrs B: (Do I even need to type the next bit? What are you new to this blog??) Ali, we need to talk about the car
Me: Talk about... how good it is? (try the puppy dog lost look, but this is going to be a tough sell, even for me this is breaking mew ground, and by the looks of Mrs B she is about to break my gear stick off)
Mrs B: No way are we getting this car.
Me: "Broom, broom..." (Like that is going to help)

1 hour and 10 minutes later over a coffee:

Me: Baby, how about you choose the colour?
Mrs B: We'll buy a mini, if you like that we can save up and get the Caymen
Me: A MINI - WHO WANTS A MINI THATS FOR GIRLS, GAYS AND, AND WELL GIRLIE GAYS
(Though I have to admit the topless version is so this season, but anyway back to the story)

Mrs B: Mini until you have the cash for the Caymen
Me: Really?
Mrs B: Yes.
Me: Really?
Mrs B: YES TO HALFWIT, OH JUST GO AHEAD AND BUY THE DAMN THING! KILL YOURSELF, LEAVE ME A WIDOW WHEN YOU CRASH THE DAMN THING!

Me: Victory!

Now all I have to do is pass my Hong Kong driving test and find enough cash for a mini, oh yes, and save up $900,000 HK for the REAL car (is it wrong to want the racing trim and yellow brake discs? OK, a bit to metrosexual I know)

... But here is the best bit - I won't be paying any sales tax (this cuts 50% ff the price!) Thank you loyal British tax payers. No better than thank you, bless you I'm going to hell, but on the bright side I'm going to get there 3 times faster than you.

3 Responses to "Would you buy a tax free Porsche in HK?"

Anonymous

Minis for girls? You cheeky sod, I drive a Mini. I'm so upset that I'm going to have to go shopping, and eat some chocolate etc etc

Anonymous

I don't get why you don't have to pay what you call 'sales tax'
Surely here in HK, if you buy a car like a Porsche you have to pay First Registration Tax which amounts to something like 100% to the cost of the vehicle, making it much more expensive than the same car in UK?
Or are you on some kind of dimplomatic/consular deal?

Anonymous

Go for a classic Porsche, lot more history, more character, more head turner, all Porsches have same interior classic layout, just as fast and the best bit, a lot cheaper, Mrs B will be in favour, checkout www.fuchs.co.uk for example.

Hermes